Dr. James Cantrell
Director of Transportation
Physical Address: 298 Tradition Lane, Trenton, Georgia 30752
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 188, Trenton, Georgia 30752
"Transporting Our Future"
The Dade County School Transportation Department makes available school bus service for more than 2,000 students enrolled in Dade County Schools. School transportation is provided in conformance with pupil transportation policies and procedures established by the State Board of Education and the Dade County Board of Education.
The school system operates over 20 buses serving more than 24 routes and covering more than 1,250 miles daily. That's 6,250 miles per week, 25,000 miles per month and 225,000 miles per school year. All drivers have an elementary school, middle, high school route. Some drivers, such as our Special Needs drivers, may serve several different schools in both their morning and afternoon routes.
- Buses shall not be routed down a street or highway that does not afford a satisfactory turnaround or is otherwise unsafe for bus travel.
- Buses are not to be routed on private property (this includes most mobile home parks and apartment complexes).
- The Director of Transportation may make an adjustment in bus stop location, if warranted, to eliminate unsafe or hazardous conditions.
- School bus routes are established during the summer before school starts each year.
- Routes will be adjusted as needed after school begins to make the routes effective and efficient.
- Bus stops on the routes are not always the same as the previous year.
- Safety of bus riders is always our greatest concern.
- Watch for children at bus stops and as they get on or off the bus.
- Use special caution during school hours and obey school bus "Stop" arms.
- Always watch for the unexpected.
- Review bus safety rules with your child and stress the necessity of observing them.
- Make sure your child is at the bus stop five minutes early. Never be late. Haste increases the chance of an accident.
- Remind your child to walk on the shoulder of the road on the way to the bus stop, where possible, and not on the traveled portion of the road.
- Remind your child to wait in a safe place, well off the road, until the bus comes to a stop.
- Students should not move toward teh bus until the bus and all traffic have stopped. Students should stop and look before crossing the road when preparing to baord or depart the bus. It is very important to look. Do not expect approaching traffic to stop.