Parent Mentor for Special Education
Hello! I am Deidre Stewart and I am the Special Education Parent Mentor for Dade County Schools. This is my first year as Parent Mentor and I’m excited about getting to know you.
WHAT is a Parent Mentor?
A Parent Mentor is a parent of a child with a disability who also has professional experience supporting families. A Parent Mentor supports parents, students, and professionals to improve outcomes for students. I have 3 amazing girls, one who has special needs. Professionally, I was a pediatric nurse for over 15 years.
WHO do I help?
I am a resource for parents of all students who receive special education services in Dade County. I also support teachers and administrators in understanding parents’ perspectives, improving communication, and planning opportunities for family engagement.
HOW can I help you?
I provide one-on-one assistance, resources, training, and opportunities for families to connect with other families. I realize that every family is unique, and the type of support I provide will depend on what your family needs.
Some of the topics I can help with include:
- Understanding the IEP process & advocating for your student’s success
- Communicating with teachers, case managers, and administrators
- Preparing for an IEP meeting
- Teaching your student to self-advocate & talking to your student about his/her disability
- Finding and accessing resources/attend doctor appointments
- Applying for programs to pay for health care and community supports
- Preparing for Transition from high school
And that’s just a few! If you have a question about anything at all (disability-related), I will either have an answer, find the answer, or connect you with someone who does. Ask!
HOW do you contact me?
Easy! Call/text or email me. You can also ask your teacher to email me with your phone number/email, and I will reach out to you. I look forward to hearing from you!
If you would like to be added to my email list, simply email me at email@example.com with your name and email address.