Mr. Skip's Guidance Corner
Welcome to the Davis Elementary School Counseling Website.
Home of the Davis Yellow Jackets! Where Students are Buzzworthy!
Thank you for visiting the Davis Elementary School Counselor website. I encourage you to search the webpages within the site and click on links to external sites. Whether you are a student, a parent, or a teacher, there should be a lot of useful information here.
The Davis Counseling Department is Aligned with the ASCA (American School Counselor Association) national model, guidelines, and standards.
The mission of the Comprehensive School Counseling and Guidance Program is to enable all students, regardless of individual differences, to acquire the educational preparation, occupational skills, and social awareness necessary to reach their highest potential in an ever-changing society.
The Davis Elementary school counseling program has aligned the work with the American School Counseling Association's (ASCA) National Model. The ASCA National Standards reflect the expectations for all students to achieve. Professional high school counselors support students in three areas of their lives: academic, career, and personal/social. The school counselor collaboratively works with all stakeholders in the following delivery systems:
- School Counseling Curriculum - guidance lessons or activities to promote the knowledge, attitudes and skills in three content areas: academic achievement, career development, and personal/social growth. The lessons include classroom guidance, group activities (intentional guidance), and parent workshops and instruction.
- Individual Student Planning - activities designed to assist students to establish personal goals and develop future plans, which include appraisals and individual or small group advisement.
- Responsive Services - activities that meet students' immediate needs and concerns, such as consultation, individual and small group counseling, crisis counseling, referrals, and peer facilitation.
- System Support - activities that enhance the school counseling program and support the school. The activities include professional development, consultation and collaboration, and program management and operations.
The counselor and staff support students through whole school, small group, and case-management interventions.
What does a Davis Elementary School Counselor do?
The counselors at Davis Elementary School provides for the well-being of the students and promotes a positive school climate conducive to working and learning. They provide services such as the following:
- Individual guidance
- Small group guidance
- Classroom visits
- Parent conferences
- Teacher consultation
- Monitor student attendance and tests data
- Contact Community resources
- Chair the 504 Team
- Facilitate the Mentoring Program
Classroom Visits: Counselors visit classrooms to address topics such as careers, testing, study skills, decision making, friendship, personal safety and problem solving.
Individual Counseling: Counselors see students individually at the parent's, administrator's, teacher's or student's request. Counselors will make referrals to outside agencies when they feel it is necessary.
Group Counseling: Students are referred by parents, administrators or teachers to participate in small group counseling. Group topics for this year include:
- Grief & Loss
- Family Changes
- Social Skills
- Self Concept
- Study Skill
Consultation: In an effort to support the Davis Elementary students, the counselors collaborate and consult with teachers, administrators, other counselors, school social workers and community agencies to help remove barriers to learning.
When should you call a Davis Elementary School Counselor?
- When your child needs extra help adjusting to school.
- When your child is having difficulty learning.
- When family changes interfere with academic progress.
- When you need help interpreting tests scores.
- When you need community resources.
Please feel free to contact the Davis Elementary Counselor at 706-657-6300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.