PLAY Student Library Card Program
PINES Library Access for Youth (PLAY) is brought to you through a collaboration between Dade County Schools, Georgia Library PINES*, and your Dade County Public Library.
Dade County Schools student lunch ID numbers will act as a library card number for your public library! The public library provides free access to books and online resources to help your child succeed in school, as well as fun resources that help develop a lifelong love of reading.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Visit https://www.chrl.org/play-student-library-card-program/ for more information on how to get started.
There is an “opt-out” option. Your child’s Student Lunch ID number will be provided to the Cherokee Regional Library to be used as your library card number unless you choose to opt-out using the link to the right of the video below.
Benefits of the PLAY library card are endless!
- Search the catalog of over 11 million items for books, DVD’s, audiobooks and more!
- Access the Online World Book Encyclopedia and nonfiction ebooks!
- Use Mango, the highest-rated language-learning app, for free!
- Download audio books for free via Libby!
- Practice tests for the SAT, PSAT, and others!
- Store a list of books you’ve read and want to read.
When your student visits a library in-person, there are even more perks!
- Request items from 300+ PINES libraries across Georgia for free delivery to your local library.
- Ask our expert staff for book recommendations.
- Check out up to five items (books, DVD’s, audiobooks).
- Pay no late fees!
- Attend free storytelling, activities and special events.
The purpose of this program is to provide every student in the Dade County School System with public library card access provided by Cherokee Regional Library System (CHRL). To this end, the parties agree to undertake the following:
- DCS agrees to designate CHRL as a school official for purposes of FERPA, and to provide access to personally identifiable student information only in accordance therewith.
- DCS will provide CHRL with the following for every student enrolled in DCS: student lunch number, first and last name, birth date, school, grade, address, phone number, and parent email address.
- CHRL will integrate DCS student lunch numbers with CHRL/PINES Library accounts to allow every student enrolled in DCS instant access to CHRL databases and materials. Implementation will include training for students and staff on CHRL's educational resources.
- At all times during the use or maintenance of the student information provided for in this agreement, CHRL agrees that is subject to the direction and control of the DCS with regard to the handling of the above-described student information.
- Upon the specific, written request of any parent, guardian or eligible student, CHRL agrees to permanently destroy any student information for said student obtained under this agreement. This provision shall be inapplicable to any separately or independently created CHRL records associated with the student.
If a parent disagrees with any of the above, they may choose to opt-out their child from access. Please click the Opt-Out link above.
*Georgia Library PINES (Public Information Network for Electronic Services) is the public library automation and lending network for 300 libraries and affiliated service outlets in 53 library systems serving 146 counties in Georgia.